Trainee Patent Attorney - Digital
London, England, United Kingdom
CMS are recruiting a Trainee Patent Attorney to join our market-leading patent attorney team, voted one of the FT's Leading Patent Law Firms 2020, in London, in Autumn 2021.
You will be provided with ongoing training and development whilst studying for your Certificate in Intellectual Property and subsequently, your UK and/or European Patent exams. You will work alongside experienced colleagues and leaders in their field who will guide you through the varied aspects of international patent law and how to apply these to meet your clients’ needs.
Responsibilities will include:
- assisting in the drafting and filing of patent applications;
- patent prosecution at the European Patent Office (EPO) and the UK Intellectual Property Office (UKIPO);
- EPO opposition and appeal work; and
- involvement in freedom to operate opinions, IP due diligence and litigation.
Our Intellectual Property group is one of the largest teams in Europe for patent and trade mark work. Our qualified patent attorneys work alongside our IP, litigation, corporate and commercial lawyers. This offering makes us a rarity in the market as we are a full-service law firm able to provide a fully integrated service for all stages in the IP life cycle.
Our IP clients include blue-chip businesses, universities, research institutes, start-ups and spin outs, and growth technology companies across all disciplines.
We are looking for candidates with a strong academic record in Physics, Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering.
- have a Masters and/or PhD in Physics, Computer Science, or Electrical Engineering and/or have industry experience;
- be self-motivated and interested in further developing their knowledge of IP law and patent prosecution work; and
- be proactive in undertaking a wide range of work, across diverse technical and legal areas.
- have excellent attention to detail and organisational skills, with experience working under pressure towards tight deadlines whilst maintaining a high level of accuracy;
- be flexible in their attitude and an effective team player, willing to collaborate and build professional relationships across all levels; and
- have excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
CMS is an international law firm with leading businesses throughout Europe, The Middle East, Asia and beyond. We create sustainable and rewarding futures for our clients, our people and our communities.
Ranked as the world’s 5th largest law firm by lawyer headcount and 6th largest in the UK by revenue, CMS works with clients in over 40 countries from 70+ offices worldwide.
CMS is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. And we recruit, value and nurture top talent.